The City of Dayton’s Mayor Gary Leitzell recently gave an annual state of the city address and here are some positive highlights of what he had to report:
- Police Officers, fire fighters and paramedics have been recruited to service the city
- The city has had a budget surplus in 2012 and applied those extra dollars to technology, blight removal and infrastructure needs
- Welcome Dayton campaign is going strong and the city is be re-populated – the Turkish Ahiskan community has grown from 150 families in 2010 to 450 families today and 2,400+ people became New Americans this spring from the Dayton region
- Forbes Magazine rated Dayton, Ohio as the “Happiest City To Work In”
- Forbes Magazine rated Dayton as the third best city in America
- Forbes Magazine rated Dayton as the “Most Affordable City in America”
- Dayton, Ohio has been ranked as the third best U.S. city for job opportunities
- Dayton Metro Library passed a $187 million bond to re-invent the library system in over the next 20 years
- $4 million was raised privately to a kayaking feature for RiverScape
- Fifth Street Brewpub (St. Anne’s Hill) has 1,700+ members and is the fastest growing brew pub co-op in the U.S.
Upcoming Dayton, Ohio progress includes:
- Hollywood Dayton Racino (northern Dayton)
- GE Aviation Research Center at the University of Dayton
Leitzell says, “The Dayton renaissance is happening… Four short years ago I doubt that anyone would ever believe that a so called “dying city” could turn around so quickly during a recession….(It) goes back to the people who call themselves Daytonians… Dayton is not only the “city of inventors” but the city of “re-inventors”…
Read the entire speech by Mayor Gary Leitzell here.