Who ever thought of focusing on “sauerkraut” for a community festival? Waynesville, Ohio did!
The 44th Annual Ohio Sauerkraut Festival will be held on October 12 and 13, 2013. Most food is sauerkraut based from pizza, egg rolls, cabbage rolls, ice cream to even the fudge. (For you non-sauerkraut lovers, there will also be non-kraut food.)
About This Festival
- Waynesville merchants planned a sidewalk sale in 1970 and included a sauerkraut dinner along with the event. Thus, the Ohio Sauerkraut Festival was created!
- Seven tons of sauerkraut are served to 350,000 people
- Sauerkraut means “sour cabbage” in German
- The sour taste is from the fermenting of lactic acid bacteria
- Sauerkraut is high in vitamins C, B and K as well as calcium and magnesium. It is also a good source for fiber, iron and other minerals
- Sauerkraut is low in calories
Note: All of the above does not make this author love sauerkraut. The festival sounds like so much fun, but “kraut” is not my favorite food! I have too many memories of my mother making it for dinner and not enjoying one bite.