The National Kitchen and Bath Association has released its NKAB-member survey about design trends for 2013:
Grey – Becoming the “It” Color
Grey color trends in baths and kitchens are growing. Currently 55% of kitchens (vs 9% in in 2010) and 56% of bathrooms (vs 12% in 2010) are a shade of grey.
- Whites and off-whites are the most popular colors in kitchens and baths, followed by beiges and bone hues.
Transitional-style kitchens are now favored over traditional styles.
Granite or Quartz?
Granite is still the most popular counter finish, but quartz is coming in at a close second.
- 87% used granite in kitchens and 71% in bathrooms
- Quartz increased from 69% to 80% in kitchens and 53% to 65% in bathrooms
Painted Cabinets in the Kitchen
White is the top color for painted cabinets in the kitchen.
Cabinets Finishes in the Kitchen
- Light finishes were used by 30%
- Medium finished were used by 54%
- Dark finishes were used by 55% of those surveyed
Glass Backsplash Growing More Popular
- 64% of those surveyed used a glass backsplash (vs 42% in 2010)
- Ceramic/porcelain tiles are the most popular materials used at 77%
Nickel, Bronze or Polished Chrome?
Satin nickel is the most popular faucet finish in kitchens. Bronze or oil-rubbed bronze finishes have grown in popularity. (Polished nickel and polished chrome have dropped to 47% and 20% respectively.)
Read the entire survey report here.