Well, the Beast officially opened on April 14, 1979 in Mason, Ohio, so we missed the birthday by a couple months, but we can celebrate its 35th anniversary all year. According to the Kings Island website, at the time of the Beast’s grand opening it was considered “America’s ultimate roller coaster”, breaking records as the longest and fastest ride in the world. It still is the longest wooden roller coaster in the world. Let’s take a look at some of the Beast’s amazing statistics:
• 1.4 mile-long track with a ride time of over four minutes
• Vertical drops of 135 feet and 141 feet
• Eight banked turns, some to 45 degrees
• A massive, 540-degree helix tunnel near the end
• Speeds over 60 miles per hour
• Over 48,000,000 million rides have been taken by park visitors
• 1980 was the record year for the most number of rides. There were 2,150,353!
Check out Cincinnati Magazine’s full-length article on the history and background of the Beast. Great story!