It’s Friday. Yeah! It’s Friday, the 13th! Oh no. Why do we fear Friday, the 13th?
- The number 13 is an unlucky number because it is an irregular and is the number of witches needed to form a coven.
- The number 12 is considered a complete number (12 hours, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 apostles, 12 successors of Muhammed, 12 signs of the Zodiac, etc…) Thirteen upsets the basket!
- Nordic legend says that 12 gods had a dinner party and that the 13th guest (a god of mischief) arranged for the god of joy to be shot, thus bringing the world into mourning.
- Christians site that Judas was the 13th guest at the last supper.
- Biblical references: Jesus Christ was crucified on a Friday. Cain killed Abel on a Friday.
- Friday was the day people were hanged in Britain.
- Sailors setting sail have historically avoided Fridays for their journeys.
- Canterbury Tales (14th century) says: “And on a Friday fell all this mischance.”
Interesting Friday the 13th Facts
- Less people travel on this day
- Friggatriskaidekaphobia is the fear of Friday the 13th
Read more about Friday the 13th here.
Enjoy your Friday!
This is very interesting. I think all Friday’s are good….even if it is Friday the 13th. 🙂
The Templars were attacked and disbanded on Friday the 13th in the year 1307 by authority of King of France and Pope. Ever after, Friday the 13th was considered unlucky.