Memorial Day 2020 is not to be the year for community parades or memorial services. We hope you enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend at home and still honor those who have served and protected us with your own celebration. Here are 16 ideas to celebrate Memorial Day 2020 from your home:
- Plan an at-home BBQ or picnic. Food always smells and tastes best served from the grill! If this is the first time to fire up your grill for the warmer season, go here for some grilling tips.
- Decorate your home with red, white and blue. Go to Pinterest for ideas.
- Write a letter to a soldier. Learn more on how to do that here or here.
- Send a care package to a soldier.
- Take a virtual memorial tour. Or watch “The National Memorial Day Parade: America Stands Tall” (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox stations) The Vietnam Veterans Memorial will have an online commemoration at 1pm on May 25.
- Explain Memorial Day to your children.
- Learn how to fold the U.S. flag.
- Fly your flag! (Flag etiquette here.)
- Listen to veterans’ stories.
- Make a red, white and blue dessert. See recipe ideas here and here.
- Decorate bicycles with red, white and blue – and ride them throughout your neighborhood (while social distancing.)
- Play yard games with your family. Here’s an idea on how to create a DIY ring toss. Play “Lawn Twister” in the grass. Try a bean bag ladder toss. Here is a link to more outdoor game ideas.
- Host an outdoor movie. Learn how to create your own outdoor theater.
- Camp in your backyard. Set up a tent, add blankets or sleeping bags along with pillows. Tell stories and gaze at the stars!
- Roast s’mores from your fire pit! (No fire pit? Use a terracotta pot!)
- Walk/run! “Wear Blue” in a virtual Memorial Day walk/run.
Community Memorial Day Events:
May 25, 2020 –9am
The city is hosting a private ceremony that will be live-streamed from Facebook.
May 25, 2020 – Special Parade Brought to Veterans’ Homes
A drive-by parade (with vehicles from the police, fire and parks’ divisions) will pass by local veterans’ homes starting at 10am. Lights and sirens will mark their arrival. A private ceremony will also be streamed onto the Fairfield Facebook event page.
May 22–25, 2020. Y’alls Animal Farm
UC Health Stadium at 7950 Freedom Way, Florence, KY 41042
Drive-thru animal farm from Honey Hill Farm.
May 25, 2020
Bring an American flag to wave during one of these ceremonies:
9:30am – Memorial Park
10:00am – Greenlawn Cemetery
10:30am – St. Andrew Cemetery
Ceremonies will also be broadcast on Facebook Live.
Park Hills, Kentucky
May 25, 2020 –11:30am
Online flag-raising ceremony is scheduled.