Did you know the world’s first automobile insurance policy was issued in Dayton, Ohio in 1897?
We usually think of the Motor City (Detroit, Michigan) as the birthplace of the manufacturing of cars. But, Ohio was actually in the forefront of this new technology for transportation.
In 1897, Gilbert J. Loomis was the first person to purchase an automobile liability insurance policy from the Travelers Insurance Company for $1000.00.
Other interesting car insurance facts:
- Missouri had no driver exam law until 1952. Prior to such laws, people would simply pay ($.50 or so) and walk away with a license to drive.
- Massachusetts was the first state to require automobile liability insurance in 1927. (Today, New Hampshire is the only state in the U.S. without such mandatory liability laws.)
Article courtesy of Sibcy Cline Insurance Services. Have them quote your automobile and home owners insurance rates!
Ohio is ranked as the 4th least expensive state for car insurance in the U.S with a yearly average of $1,106. This is according to a state-by-state comparison of 2013 rates by insure.com.
What state has the most expensive car insurance rates? Louisiana at $2,699. (Followed by Michigan, Georgia, Oklahoma and Washington D.C.)
What state has the least expensive car insurance rates? Maine at $934.
Kentucky ranked #10 at $1,725 and Indiana ranked #44 at $1,183.
Why is there variance in insurance premiums state by state?
- Each state has different numbers of insurers competing for the business
- Driving conditions
- Number of drivers who are uninsured
- State insurance systems and laws
Article courtesy of Sibcy Cline Insurance Services.
Dayton, Ohio, with its 841,000 residents, are doing well behind the wheel, because the city was part of the “2013 Best Drivers Report” and ranked #34 in the United States as a safe city to drive.
- Dayton drivers average 11 years between accidents
- Dayton drivers are 9.3% less likely to be in a crash as compared to the rest of the U.S.
What city was ranked the safest to drive in the U.S.? Fort Collins, Colorado.
Want to read the Best Drivers Report? Go here.
Need a cost comparison of your car and home insurance rates?
Contact Sibcy Cline Insurance Services. They represent many financially solid insurance companies and can provide a competitive quote to you!